- Rice Grains: 3/4 glass
- Split Mung Beans/Moong Dal: 1/4 glass
- Cumin Powder: 1 tsp
- Black Pepper: 3/4 tsp (crush to half)
- Cashewnuts: 7-8
- Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
- Water: 5 1/2 glass
- Coconut: 2tbsp (grated)
- Ghee: 1 tbsp
- Oil: 2tbsp
- Dry roast split mung beans till it turns light golden brown.
- Once roasted take the split mung beans & rice grains wash them together, keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a big sturdy pot.
Note: It is better to use non-stick pot to avoid the rice from sticking to the bottom.
- Add pepper, cumin powder, turmeric powder & cashewnuts, sauté for 10sec.
- Add rice & split mung beans.
- Immediately add water.
- Add salt & coconut.
- Adjust seasoning, mix well.
- Close the lid.
- When it starts boiling, keep in low flame.
- Occasionally stir to avoid sticking to bottom.
- Cook till rice absorbs all water & it reaches a semi liquid state.
- Add ghee, mix well.
- Spicy Pongal is ready to serve hot with coconut chutney.
Note: It gets thick when cooled so don’t let water to dry out completely. I cooked in Rice cooker. Can also be pressure cooked for 3 whistles.
To buy “Read To Eat Indian Foods” Here
To buy “Indian Spice Powders” Here
Loved the Recipe? then +1 it :P