- Baby Potato: 15 to 17
- Oil: to deep fry
- Onion: 1 (chopped)
- Garlic: 1 tsp (finely chopped)
- Ginger: 1 tsp (finely chopped)
- Coriander: 4 strings (chopped)
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Water: 1 cup
- Onion: 1 big (chopped lengthwise)
- Cumin Seeds: 1/4 tsp
- Cardamom: 2
- Cinnamon: 1 inch
- Clove: 5
- Mace/Javitri: 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Cashew nuts: 10
- Fried Baby Potato: 1 (optional to increase thickness to gravy)
- Yogurt/Curds: to grind (instead of water)
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Yogurt/Curds: 2 cups
- Coriander Powder: 1 tsp
- Chilly Powder: 2 tsp
- Fennel Seeds Powder/Saunf powder: 1/4 tsp
- Salt: 1/2 tsp
- Wash baby potatoes.
- Pressure cook potatoes for 1 whistle or boil in the pan until it is parboil.( Ensure potatoes are totally immersed in water.)
Note: Don’t boil potatoes too much otherwise it gets mashed. (Normal big potatoes can also be used by cutting it into pieces.)
- Let pressure comes down a bit.
- Open the lid & peel potatoes.
- Pierce all around each potato with a fork or tooth-pick.
- Heat the oil in wok.
- Deep fry potatoes till it changes colour slightly & gets coated.
Note: Don’t fry too much. Potatoes are fried to avoid it mashing in the gravy. You can also bake it in the oven by brushing some oil on potatoes.
- In a mixing bowl add yogurt, coriander powder, chilly powder, fennel seeds powder & 1/2 tsp salt (listed as Marinate Ingredients). Mix well.
- Add fried potatoes. Mix & keep aside.
- Heat the oil in the non stick pan.
- Add clove, cardamom, cinnamon, mace, cumin seeds & cashew nuts, saute for few seconds.
- Add onion saute till it gets transparent.
- Turn off the heat.
- Let it cool.
- Pour it to a blender with 1 fried baby potato.
- Grind it to a paste add little yogurt instead of water while grinding.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non stick pan.
- Add ginger & garlic saute till raw smell goes.
- Add onion & 1/4 tsp salt saute till it turns golden brown.
- Add grinded paste saute for 1 minute.
- Add marinated mixture, mix gently & close the lid.
- Cook it for 5 minutes.
Note: If not using nonstick pan make sure to stir in between. Little oil is used as Yogurt leaves oil when cooked.
- Add 1 cup water or to the required gravy consistency.
- Taste & adjust the seasoning & close the lid for 5-7 minutes.
- Add coriander, stir.
- Dum Aloo is ready to serve with chapati, naan, puri, rotis (Indian breads).
- Channa Masala
- Bitter Gourd Gravy/Karela Sabzi/Hagalakai Gojju
- Palak Paneer/Spinach Cottage Cheese
- Dill Leaves Gravy/Sowa Gravy/Sabsige Soppu Paji
- Green Peas Gravy/Masala For Masala Puri
- Kadai Paneer
To buy “Read To Eat Indian Foods” Here
To buy “Indian Spice Powders” Here
Loved the Recipe? then +1 it :P