Pav Bhaji is one of the popular fast food in Maharashtra. Can also be found in other parts of India served as North Indian fast food. Pav means bun and bhaji means spicy mashed vegetables dish (gravy).
Serves: 4 - 5
To Pressure Cook:
- Peas/Matar: 1/4 cup
- Cauliflower/Gobi (fillet): 2 cups
- Potato (diced): 1 1/4 cups
- Capsicum/Bell Pepper (diced): 3/4 cup
- Carrot (cut into round): 1 cup
- Asafoetida/Hing: 2 pinch
- Onion: 2 medium (finely chopped)
- Tomato: 3 small (finely chopped)
- Green Chilly: 3 (finely chapped)
- Ginger Paste: 1 tsp
- Garlic Paste: 1 tsp
- Turmeric: 1/4 tsp
- Chilly Powder: 2 tsp
- Coriander Powder: 1 tsp
- Garam Masala: 1/2 tsp
- Kasuri Methi: 1 tsp
- Lemon Juice: 1 tbsp
- Coriander/Cilantro: 7-8 strings (finely chopped)
- Butter: 4 tbsp
- Salt: to taste
- Pav/Bun: 12 (mini buns)
- Butter: 2-3 tbsp
- Onion: 1 big (chopped)
- Lemon Wedges
|Top 2 photos for bhaji and bottom 2 photos to pressure cook.|
- Wash and cut all the vegetables.
To Pressure Cook:
- Soak peas overnight or soak in warm water for 1hr.
- In a pressure cooker put vegetables and water till vegetables immerses.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Let it cool before opening the cooker lid.
- Separate water from vegetables and store water (vegetable stock) for later use.
- Mash vegetables well with masher.
Note: I am using non-stick pan so I am mashing vegetables before adding to gravy. If you are using regular pan, can skip mashing now and mash it after adding to gravy.
If you are using pan inside pressure cooker ensure to put water in the cooker before placing the pan.
- Heat 2 tbsp butter in the wide bottom non-stick pan.
- Add asafoetida/hing.
- Add onion, saute till onion turns transparent.
- Add turmeric, ginger paste and garlic paste saute till onion turns golden brown.
- Add green chilly and tomato. Let the tomato cook well.
- Add coriander powder, chilly powder, garam masala and kasuri methi, Stir.
- Add little (vegetable Stock) stored water (to avoid powders from burning).
- Add salt.
- Add mashed vegetables, mix well.
- Add necessary quantity of store water (vegetable Stock) make sure the gravy is thick consistency.
Note: Gravy should not be watery.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Add coriander, stir once.
- Add 2 tbsp butter, mix well.
- Add lemon juice, mix and turn off the heat.
- Cut pav/bun in half horizontally to make bottom and top bun separate.
- Heat the griddle/tava.
- Put some butter and spread on it.
- Place inside-part of the bun facing tava.
- Toast the bun till it turns slightly golden brown.
- Remove it to a plate.
- Repeat the same for all buns.
You can serve it in two ways.
- In a serving plate place the bottom part of the bun.
- Spread a thick layer of bhaji on the bun.
- Sprinkle some chopped onions.
- Squeeze some lemon juice.
- Place top part of the bun.
- Pav Bhaji is ready to serve.
- Serve buns separately with lemon wedges and Bhaji topped with chopped onion & coriander .
Note: Bhaji can also be served with chapati, naan & rotis.
Remaining stored water (vegetable stock) can be used for soups.
- Masala Broccoli & Gobi Manchurian
- Green Peas Gravy/Masala For Masala Puri
- Karela Fingers/Bitter Gourd Fingers
- Pepper Mushroom
To buy “Indian Spice Powders” Here
Loved the Recipe? then +1 it :P