This is one version among many Karnataka Spice powder used in most of the Veg sambars, sambar for Idly & lentils sambar or soup/rasam, this spice powder recipe is passed on from generations.
For 1/2 kg Sambar Powder
- Coriander seeds/Dania: 1/2 kg
- Red Chilly (Guntur): 1/2 kg
- Cumin: 200 gm
- Fenugreek Seeds: 100 gm
- Mustard Seeds: 100 gm
- Pepper: 150 gm
- Asafoetida/Hing: 1/4 tsp
- Pigeon Pea/Toor Dal: 50 gm
- Black Chickpea (Bengal Gram): 1/4 kg
- Curry Leaves: 1 cup
- Turmeric Sticks: 150 gm
- Sun dry all the ingredients separately.
- Dry roast all the ingredients one by one separately.
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Let it cool & grind it to fine powder or you can also get it done from a flour-mill.
- Spread the powder on a news paper to cool it & to avoid it from getting dark brown colour.
- Once cooled store it in an air tight container.
- Put one layer press it tight do this for each layer so it gets compressed, it retains the freshness & lasts long.
Loved the Recipe? then +1 it :P