It is one of the traditional South Indian home made rice noodles which is called “shavige” in Kannada & Sevai in Tamil. Usually this is prepared using parboiled rice. It is served with chicken curry (chicken sambar) or coconut kheer (kai haalu).
- Parboiled Rice/Usna Chawal /Kusubalakki: 2 cups
- Water: to soak the rice
- Salt: 1/2 tsp
- Coconut (grated): 4 tbsp or Coconut Milk Powder: 2tbsp
- Oil: to grease
- Shavige hollu/Sevai press/noodles press with small holes.
- Wash & soak rice in water overnight
- Grind rice & coconut to a smooth paste with little water but it should be thick batter consistency like idli batter.
- Add salt, mix well.
- Grease idli plates with oil & pour the batter into plates.
- Steam in pressure cooker for 10 minutes without using weight.
Note: I used cooker pan instead of idli plate. Grease oil to a pan & pour 1 1/2 inch batter to a pan & steam it for 15-20 minutes without weight.
- Noodles should be pressed when it is hot, so take required dough & close the lid to keep the rest warm. Cold dough is very difficult to press.
- Wet the noodles press & spoon to avoid the dough sticking to it.
- Fill the dough to the noodles press.
- Press out the noodles into oval or round shape overlapping 4-6 layers of circle.
- Repeat the same with rest of the dough & make sure to leave gap between each noodles.
- Allow it to cool a bit.
Note: Don’t cover the noodles as soon as pressed it should be left open.
- Rice noodles is ready to serve with chicken curry or coconut kheer (kai haalu).
- Rice Bread/Rice Roti/Akki Rotti
- Plain Rice/White rice
- Corn Rice
- Spicy Pongal/Khara Pongal
- Tempered Rice/Tadka Chawal/Vagarane Anna
To buy “Indian Spice Powders” Here
Loved the Recipe? then +1 it :P